Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Missing pieces in my puzzle

I tend to forget that I actually have a blog... that I started it to encourage me to write more, I remember after I do things like write a Facebook status that could be broken into chapters (which I did tonight.)
Normally that doesn't bother me too much since most of my life is on Facebook but recently I've been drawn into the world of Twitter and I was sad that I couldn't share with them this amazing chapter in the book of my life unless I came back to my blog.
Lucky for them, I had it bookmarked AND I remembered the password!  So, here it is - my Facebook status that is, honestly, a chapter in the life of Holly.
Grab a drink, maybe a snack, get comfy and enjoy...

9/4/2012 - Words tend to come to me pretty easily, so when I struggle with finding the words to write my status it means 1 of 2 things...either I am so mad I am having trouble finding words nice enough to post without being too harsh or I've been touched so deeply by the amazing-ness of others that I just don't even know how to put it into words. Tonight, it's the 2nd thing and I am struggling with finding the right words to do justice to just how amazing a lot of people really are. If you could see the tears welled up in my eyes and put that feeling into words... it still wouldn't be enough.

Tonight was Parker's open house, his last year at the Middle School. This year was incredible for so many reasons. First, Parker had only minor hesitations as he took his dad and I to each of his rooms. He greeted with hugs and proudly showed off his praying mantis' to "Hot Dog" and Kim. He had kept his head up more than down in the halls and I can't even begin to say how incredible it was to see his face light up when he saw his friends and to hear him call out their names as we went down the halls or in classrooms. This was, hands down, a very good night for him.

There was more though - in the halls and classes, just as in the past but by many more kids than I ever remember - hearing their voices say "hi Parker!" or call his name and then wave, or call out nicknames they've created for each other - I've said it a hundred times already and I would write it in stone - the kids in his class are the most amazing, understanding, compassionate, best kids ever. I have enjoyed watching them grow and could not be more proud of how amazing they are with Parker. I can't even begin to explain the difference they have made in him, how much he feels like a part of the class, how much he values his friends. And seeing them tonight, I knew, no matter how "different" Parker may be, these kids really are his friends. They have challenges that are the same and that are different but it was easy to see in their eyes - when it comes to understanding each other, they have something no one can teach or make happen but that comes from being a really good person... and these kids... they are SO good. I hope they realize the impact they have had on Parker, I hope it continues (and believe it will) and hope that he has made a difference in their lives too - and will continue too.

This year, there was one piece of tonight's puzzle that I didn't realize just how much it was missing (or that I was keeping hid under the table for my own protection) until I really stood back and realized it was ok to let that piece complete the puzzle. The parents. I've always kept a safe distance from the other parents, which was my own doing as I just wasn't sure where I fit into the overall puzzle of our children's lives. Tonight, I realized, I fit right where they do... in that "frantically trying to collect insects/holding on tight to our children who are growing up too fast/wanting what's best/never giving up/extremely proud parent" piece. I watched and really noticed this year how much THEY interacted with Parker, how many of the parents said "hi" or "how are you?" or "give me 5" to HIM. They don't see Parker as that kid that "has" to be a part of their kid's class, who is special and possibly distracting... they see Parker. They see his growth, they see his humor, they see...his heart and they see their child's friend. They don't see me (or if they did, they hid it well, lol) as someone who is forcing my child into their lives - they saw me as a mom, as a parent, as one of them. And maybe, maybe they always have and I just wasn't ready to see it.. but tonight, not only did I see it, but I felt it.

I've said all along that the parents of this 8th grade class are pretty awesome and have done an amazing job raising some really excellent kids. Tonight, I stand by that and realize not only are they proud of their kids - but they are proud of Parker. And more so, I realized... we are in the very same boat... and I couldn't be sailing along with a more incredible group of parents, who I am proud to say that they really are my friends and together we really are facing many of the same waves.

I am looking forward to this school year and for the first time, after tonight, I believe we are going to be just fine next year in high school. Thank you all for being a part of our lives and for being so incredibly amazing.

I can't end without saying - the teaching staff at IMS - very top notch! LOVE them all and love to see their pride in Parker and his friends.

♥ I was tempted to try to start tagging everyone but didn't want to leave anyone out - you know who you are anyway! ;-)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Parker
    My name is Jenna and I came across your site. You are a precious miracle special gift, handsome prince and a earthly angel. U are a smilen champ, inspirational hero, courageous fighter, and a brave warrior.
    I was born with a rare life threatening disease, developmental delays, 14 medical conditions.
    http://www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete