Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Parker and the Dentist - Part 1.

Parker has been complaining of his teeth hurting a lot lately. I looked in his mouth and swore he had 2 back, bottom molars that were black. So, Scott and I started to get our ducks in a row knowing that dental work for Parker means full anesthesia. We needed to get him to his dentist first to attempt x-rays and get the referral.
Parker has a lot of sensory issues when it comes to his mouth and a very active gag reflex. We've never successfully been able to get bite x-rays without Parker being completely knocked out. We have been able to get the ones where the machine goes around his head but they are not as detailed as the bite ones.
Like most people, the dentist makes Parker nervous. We talked about how it was just a check-up, how to open his mouth, and that he needed to let people touch his teeth - and that the hygienist and the dentist were very nice people. His sister Grace had an orthodontist appointment yesterday which I told Parker was a dentist appointment and that she just did this the day before and how awesome she did. (Grace is Jen's daughter for people trying to figure that one out, lol, I am not hiding a child from you - we just don't do "step" in this family. Our children are siblings. ❤ )
I was braced for the worst when we arrived at his 8 am appointment as flashbacks of laying on him to hold him still, being bit, kicked, and hit from days gone by at appointments ran through my head.
I checked him in and while I filled out updated paperwork, he "read" a magazine. I wish I had taken a picture, it was really cute. He hesitated when Amber, the hygienist, called his name but did get up and go with me. He finally agreed to sit in the dentist's chair and was intrigued as Amber showed him pictures of past x-rays.
We started with trying to let Amber look at his teeth. He did ok, I told him that Grace let her look at her teeth, I think that helped some. I'm not sure she could see the back molars but she and I still praised him for the attempt. Then she did the x-rays that go around your head. He simply needed to stand still. The weighted apron they put on you always makes this easier as that heavy weight is our best friend. That went very well.
When we went back to the room. As Amber looked at the pictures and showed them to Parker she said he really needed to do the bite plate x-rays so we could get a better look at the teeth we were concerned about.
Always up for a challenge and always hoping to see Parker succeed at something new, I reminded her about his gag reflex and said "I'm in if you are up for it.". She was up for it. She explained to him what she was going to do, I told him that Grace did this yesterday and did great, he could do it, too.
We all 3 took a deep breath and went for attempt one. It was almost an instant gag for him. He didn't throw up though, so that was a positive. I reminded him to take a deep breath, Amber promised him it would be super quick. Attempt 2 went slightly better but had the same gagging results. But, it was progress that she and I could both see. So, I said, "Alright dude, we've got it this time! Deep breath, all you have to do is bite, as soon as she says "bit" you bite fast, ok!" Amber said, "Third time is a charm! We can do this!"
He successfully bit down on the bite plate and Amber scurried to get everything in place. Just as she stepped out of the door to push the button, the bite plate came out.
We told him how awesome he was and how close he was. He took several deep breaths. Another staff asked if it would help for her to push the button, which was awesome. We went in for attempt 4.
Amber asked if he was ready, he said, "yes" and we almost had it but his head wasn't turned enough, the bite plate was spit out as she moved his head. Sigh.
He was totally being a trooper though! So Amber asked him to turn his head to her, where she needed him to be positioned, then tried again. He bit down, the machine was lined up, the button was clicked and for the first time in 23 years, we had a bite x-ray without anesthesia or being restrained. You have no idea how much pride I was bursting with. Well, you probably do, but if you don't, it was a tremendous amount of pride!
Amber switched sides and after he adjusted to having something in his mouth, side 2 was completed and we had the x-rays we needed for today's visit!
All we had left was to see the dentist. I asked if she could leave the weighted apron on him, because I know how much of a difference that weight makes. She was totally fine with that, as was Parker.
The dentist came in, talked with Parker about his x-rays, and then went to look in his mouth. It took a little encouragement but Parker opened his mouth for the dentist to poke around a bit.
He said he was very pleased with how Parker's teeth look! He said there is a tiny start to a couple of cavities that he wants to watch but nothing that he feels needs any attention at this point. He thinks his wisdom teeth will not move anymore so he will watch them but if they do not move, we are not going to remove them as they are not causing trouble at this point.
He said he would like to have Parker attempt a cleaning and suggested we do it a little at a time. The dentist also happened to be a CUBS fan, which Parker appreciated.
We set up an appointment for a couple of weeks from now to try the rest of the bite x-rays so we have the full set and as much of a cleaning as he can tolerate. We both praised Parker for being so awesome and even said he did better than Grace 😉 I let her know that anytime she has a patient with sensory issues or autism to ask if they'd like to wear the apron the entire visit. It makes such a big difference in helping reduce anxiety. She appreciated the advice. I've suggested this to everyone who has ever attempted to get near Parker's teeth and we've always had a positive response.
We were in and out super fast. Parker called his dad to tell him how great he did. He tried to call Grandpa John to tell him but I told him he needed to wait until Grandpa was home from his trip 🙂 He's rather annoyed that I'm not letting him call Grandpa multiple times a day while he is away, lol.
So, for my Fragile X parents, my autism parents, my special need parents who are in our life... don't give up. I walked in completely expecting this to be a huge challenge with puking, hitting, and nothing good coming of it. I always hope for the best but brace myself for the worst. But, he surprised even me with how amazing he did. He was such a rock star, I'm seriously bursting! So, don't give up, keep forging ahead, they will surprise you. Just as they always do. ❤
A couple of things I want to point out that I really appreciated at the visit today - both the hygienist and the dentist, who were both meeting Parker for the first time, talked directly to him. Not at him. Not to me. But TO him. This was amazing and I know appreciated by Parker, too. They involved him, asking if he wanted to see his pictures of his x-rays, encouraging him to breathe, and just believing completely in him. I need to see more of these moments, they are the best for my momma heart.
I'm just over the moon. I'm so incredibly happy and proud of my guy. I rewarded him with a trip to WalMart for a new inflatable because - dang, he did amazing!!
As much as I know this success means to me, I can see in Parker how proud he is of himself. He is proud that he could do this, too, and that... that is everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment