Thursday, August 17, 2017

Because... he remembers everything!

This past summer, on more than one occasion, Parker completely caught me off guard with something he remembered. I've always known and reminded everyone that his receptive language was amazing but because he's lacked the expressive language to be able to say what he knows, it's made for some doubters.

This summer though... even I was amazed.

I had to break the news over the summer to my kids that Aunt Heather had to put their dog, Gus, to sleep. I was a bit more focused on Allison because I truly didn't think Parker would really care - he's not the biggest fan of dogs - but he did. And he had questions.

P: "Bury him?"
Me: "Yes, they will bury him" (they live on 22 acres)
P: "Next to Emmy?" (our dog who died 9 years ago)
Me: "What?"
P: "Next to Emmy. Emmy died. Hit a tree. Bad rabbit."
Me: (with tears) "You remember when Emmy died?" (he was standing next to me when she came running out from behind the shed chasing a rabbit and hit a tree stump head on, instantly killing her.)
P: "Yes"
Me: "What happened?"
P: "Emmy chased the rabbit. Hit the tree. Died. Called Grandpa John. Dad working. Called dad, come home in firetruck. Grandpa took Emmy home. Buried her. Put a rock on top."
Me (seriously choking back tears) "Yes. Exactly. That's exactly what happened."
P: "Mom cried. So sad. Poor Emmy died."
Me: "Yes, mommy was so super sad. We have Daisy now though and I love Daisy. That makes me happy."
P: "Bury Gus? By Daisy? Rock on top?"
Me; "Yes, I am sure they will."
P: "By Jackson too." (Our kitten we lost)
Me: "Yes, by Jackson too."

The conversation left me a bit speechless. It certainly took me by surprise and wasn't one I planned on us having... ever, really. But truly left me in awe and happy to know there are memories in his mind, just like the rest of us.

Later in the summer we were driving in Peoria when he kept saying, "Give me your Money!" in a voice I knew was familiar but couldn't put my finger on. I would repeat it hoping it would come to me where I knew this voice and phrase from but it wasn't. So, finally, I asked...

Me: "Parker, who says that?"
P: "Mr. Krabbs. Give me your money!"
Me: "Yes, true but who else... I know this from somewhere else."
P: Thinking for a minute.... "Give me your money".... (Pause).... "Said the BIG BAD BUNNY!"
Me: "OH MY GOSH - YES!!! It's the Big Bad Bunny Book!"

Parker lit up. I used to read this story to him over and over and over and over...because he loved to hear me say "Give me your money" in my Big Bad Bunny Elvis like voice. (Mom of many talents here). And we talked about the storyline of the book for the next half hour or so.

When we got home, we looked for the book but couldn't find it. We'd still laugh about it and often say "Give me your Money" in our made up big bad bunny voice and laugh. And then, last week I ordered it and today... it arrived.



To say he was excited was an understatement. He was elated to see the book and immediately started flipping through the pages.







We read it twice before bed and he told me we could read it again tomorrow. I forgot how much I enjoy reading to him and how much he loves being read to. I would stop at places and ask him to read the words, it was, good for us both.

Maybe I'm feeling a bit more emotional these days because school is back in session or because tomorrow I go to court for his guardianship but having the book arrive today was good for us both.

And a reminder that, yes.. he IS always listening and more importantly, he - just like his sister - remembers EVERYTHING which makes me so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment